Give dryness the boot with our healthful - and hardcore - solutions.
Winter starts in December, but winterizing your skin starts now. And since 60% of what you put on your body winds up in it, pick products and that are powerful without being toxic.
1. Dry brushing is key for a deep detox. It helps stimulate the lymphatic system, which can’t eliminate toxins on its own. It also removes dead skin cells so moisturizer can penetrate deeper.
2. Speaking of removing dead skin cells - exfoliation is clutch as we move into colder weather. Treat your body with the beloved Herbivore Coco Rose, your face with Tammy Fender's Epi Peel, and lips with Stewart & Claire Mint Julep Lip Scrub.
3. Hang eucalyptus in your shower for an instant, natural steam treatment to soothe the senses and help decongest.
4. Swap to a gentler cleanser. No amount of heavy-duty moisture will help if you're over-drying your skin at the oh-so-important cleansing step. Some of our favorite hydrating cleansers are Josh Rosebrook's Complete Moisture Cleanse, OSEA Ocean Cleansing Milk, and Tammy Fender's Cleansing Milk.
5. Shea packs a punch for those with eczema or ultra dry skin. Rica Body Butter blends shea with oils selected for their healing properties and a hit of mood boosting citrus.
6. Our favorite item to break out during the cooler months is a humidifier. It's the best tool to protect your skin and respiratory system from the cold, dry air of winter.
7. Just because the sun isn't showing her face as much these days doesn't mean she's not seeing yours! Sunscreen is still a vital step for protecting your skin. Make sure you're choosing a healthy option like Ursa Major's Force Field or Josh Rosebrook's Nutrient Day Cream.
8. Omega Hair Mask is a fave 15 minute beauty ritual for hair. The smaller molecules in omega-rich rahua oil dive deep into each strand, repairing damaged locks from the inside without weighing them down.
9. The best face mask to repair angry winter skin is La Bella Figura's Healing Manuka Mask. Raw manuka honey meets aronia berry, turmeric, and jasmine flowers for the ultimate regenerating moisture treatment.
10. Tammy Fender Spontaneous Recovery Cream marries oil, cream and serum in one. Intense healing for damaged skin, superior hydration as the air gets dryer, and it’s sustainable (one jar, not three).
11. For a more wallet-friendly but still superbly rich option, try our favorite Organic Bath Co. treat, the Nourish Night Balm.
12. Captain Blankenship Avocado & Peppermint Cuticle and Foot Balm helps heal dry, cracked skin with rich organic butters and oils. Taking five minutes to love up your feet (or hands) is important self care.
13. Take it a step further and apply an extra layer of the balm to feet and then immediately put on cotton socks before climbing into bed. Your feet will feel so soft in the morning!Let’s winterize!