We're all product junkies over here, but one look at Alyse's impressive routine and you'll quickly realize that she's one beauty guru you definitely want to listen to. Alyse dishes out healthy beauty advice as the director of our Union Market shop in DC and she has a trick up her sleeve for just about any skin ailment. Can't make it over there in person? Insider tips galore can be found right in her own beauty ritual.
Since we ask this question to everyone that walks in the store, how would you describe YOUR skin type?
It’s dry overall but I still struggle with breakouts -- especially when my diet or sleep gets out of balance.
What is your morning beauty ritual?
In the shower, I cleanse my face with raw honey and then wash my hair with Josh Rosebrook Balance shampoo; it’s the best clean shampoo I’ve found for my fine, curly hair. I don’t use conditioner but I do let the shampoo sit on my scalp for a few minutes before rinsing it out. For body wash, the bar soaps from Osmia Organics are my favorites. I apply body oil while my skin is still wet and I keep a few options in the shower so I have a scent for every mood.
After my shower, I spray Josh Rosebrook Lift onto my roots and scrunch a dollop of Yarok Feed Your Curls into my hair working from the ends upward. This curl cream is one of my favorite products in the whole Follain shop! After I’m done with hair products, I spritz my face with a homemade face mist and then apply a moisturizing gel toner (Osmia Organics Active Gel Toner) mixed with a few drops of the La Bella Figura Barbary Fig Seed Oil. Then I add another layer of face mist -- homemade or May Lindstrom Jasmine Garden -- and apply the One Love Organics Vitamin C Serum. My last step before makeup is the Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream.
If I’m wearing makeup, I apply the Vapour Stratus Soft Focus Instant Skin Perfector primer mixed with a drop of Barbary Fig Seed Oil and then use Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation for spots where I want a bit of coverage. Next, I add some cheek color from W3LL People, either Universalist in #9 or the Bio Bronzer Stick, and a bit of W3LL People Bio Brightener Stick for subtle highlighting. I fill in my brows using either W3LL People Capitalist Brow Powder or, if I’m in a rush, Jane Iredale PureBrow Gel. I don’t wear mascara every day but one of our Follain makeup artists, Jeannie, got me hooked on the Jane Iredale PureLash Conditioner/primer and it helps my RMS Volumizing Mascara last all day. Lipstick is my favorite makeup product and I let my mood dictate what I’m wearing for the day. In my makeup bag you can always find a W3LL People Bioextreme Lipgloss or two, one of their Nudist Color Balms, and a few options from Ilia.
What is your evening beauty ritual?
I am a fan of double cleansing and use an oil cleanser (Kari Gran Cleansing Oil) to remove my makeup and then wipe away the oil with a warm muslin cloth. For my second cleanse I use the Osmia Organics Black Clay Facial Soap. I then repeat my morning routine by spritzing on a face mist and then adding a layer of gel serum (Osmia Organics Active Gel Toner) mixed with Barbary Fig Seed Oil. To finish, I spritz a bit more mist and apply a light cream like the OSEA Atmosphere Protection Cream and top it with a few drops of Barbary Fig Seed Oil or, if I’m feeling extra dry, May Lindstrom’s Finally, I pat a generous amount of La Bella Figura Decouverte around my eye area and send myself of to bed with a spritz of Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator.
What is the one product you can’t live without?
Lip balm! I hate having chapped lips and I stash lip treatments all over my house and in every handbag. I have a serious addiction to the Hurraw Moon Balm and also enjoy the Earth Tu Face Skin Stick as an overnight lip treatment.
What unsafe conventional product had been the toughest for you to give up?
My old, conventional eyebrow pencil was hard to let go of but I started using the options we have from W3LL People and Jane Iredale and haven’t looked back!
Aside from skincare, what’s one ritual that makes you feel the most beautiful?
Putting on perfume. I wasn’t able to use perfume often because nearly all conventional perfumes gave me headaches; now I’m enamored with botanical scents -- LURK TRN V4 and Gateaux by Florescent are my favorites.
What 3 tips would you give others to help them feel and look beautiful every day?
- Stop hating your skin! It’s part of you, not an enemy to be battled.
- Surround yourself with people you love, who love you the way you are, and who make you laugh.
- Get a dog; they make you smile, relieve stress, and love you unconditionally every day.
What’s the best piece of beauty advice your mother ever gave you?
My mother is a wealth of good beauty advice but the ones that stick with me most are:
- Wear sunscreen...on your face AND neck.
- Always use hand cream.
We often abide by the 80/20 rule. Treat your body right 80% of the time and splurge 20% of the time. So....what's your 20%?
Cheese is a big one. And, as a Southerner, I love a good cocktail and am a sucker for biscuits.
What’s the biggest beauty mistake you ever made?
Buying a very expensive retinol cream because I was self-conscious about my melisma. It made my skin so sensitive and raw! I decided I’d rather embrace a little discoloration than burn my own skin.
What is your favorite way to stay healthy through exercise?
Yoga or running. I also love taking walks with my dog, Molly. She loves the exercise and is so excited to discover EVERYTHING.
What are the five Follain products you can’t live without right now?
- Yarok Feed Your Curls - So many clean curl creams are formulated for really thick, dense curls but this aloe-based formula is light enough for my fine hair while still providing great definition and hold.
- Josh Rosebrook Balance Shampoo - Sulfate-free shampoo was the beginning of my clean beauty journey nearly five years ago but I never found one that was the right fit until Balance.
- La Bella Figura Barbary Fig Seed Oil - This oil is my everything. I use it alone or mix it into everything from serums to my makeup and it always does the trick. It’s light but hydrating and powerful but gentle.
- Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream - Yes, another Josh Rosebrook product in my Follain five -- love him! Sunscreen is so important but this is the first SPF product I've found that I actually enjoy putting on my skin every day.
- May Lindstrom Jasmine Garden - I’m a sucker for a good face mist and this is one of the best. It’s a great toner for drier skin types that struggle with breakouts and is a dreamy pick-me-up any time you need a dose of paradise.