Our digital and marketing team is small and nimble, so we're lucky to have Natalie around to help juggle everything! Though you might not see her in our shops very often, digitally speaking, you can find her posting on Instagram and Facebook, working on our email campaigns, collaborating with influencers, managing our affiliate program, and planning photoshoots, among many other things. Exciting news: Natalie is pregnant! We sat down with her to learn about her beauty ritual as an expectant mom and how she leads a healthy, wholesome lifestyle.
Since we ask this question to everyone that walks in the store, how would you describe YOUR skin type?
I have relatively dry, sensitive skin that is prone to hormonal breakouts. I am six months pregnant, and my skin is finally beginning to calm down, but it was quite unhappy for the first part of my pregnancy.
What is your morning beauty ritual?
I wake up and immediately have a big glass of water. Nothing tastes better first thing in the morning! I don't always wash my face in the morning, but many mornings I gently wash with May Lindstrom's Honey Mud. Next, I use a toner to prep my face. I love switching between Josh Rosebrook's Hydrating Accelerator, May Lindstrom's Jasmine Garden, and Dr. Alkaitis' Organic Soothing Gel. I love how toners make my skin feel and they can also smell amazing. Next, I apply 3-5 drops of Vintner's Daughter Active Botanical Serum with the push / press technique. If I'm experiencing a breakout or inflammation, I will sometimes layer May Lindstrom's Blue Cocoon on top. Next, I'll put a few drops of La Bella Figura's Barbary Fig on my face, neck, and décolleté, focusing on dry areas. I typically finish with Josh Rosebrook's Nutrient Day Cream. Sunscreen is so important!
My everyday makeup routine includes Vapour's Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation, RMS Beauty's "Un" Cover Up for blemishes and under eye circles, W3LL PEOPLE Universalist #1 for a pop of color on my cheeks and lips, RMS Beauty's Living Luminizer. I love lipstick, too! My longtime favorites are ILIA's Arabian Knights and Wild Child.
What is your evening beauty ritual?
I love taking the day off! I remove makeup and cleanse with Farmaesthetics' Fine Herbal Cleanser that I use with One Love Organics Rose Clay Cleansing Sponge. I love face masks! For a recent birthday, my husband gifted me a face steamer, so if I have time, I prep my skin with a little steam. I rotate masks but my current favorites are May Lindstrom's Problem Solver and Honey Mud, Tammy Fender's Epi Peel, and Farmaesthetics' Herbal Hydration Complex. Once my skin is dry and clean, I essentially repeat my morning routine with a toner, Vintner's Daughter Active Botanical Serum, May Lindstrom's Blue Cocoon for under eyes and any inflammation, plus La Bella Figura Barbary Fig, if I'm feeling especially dry. I layer on the moisture at night.
What unsafe conventional product had been the toughest for you to give up?
Mascara can be tricky, because I'm used to the waterproof formulas that never smudge! Follain carries some amazing mascaras, and it's next on my list to switch!
Aside from skincare, what’s one ritual that makes you feel the most beautiful?
I try to practice meditation and yoga often, and also listen to affirmations throughout the day. I love how uplifted I feel after these rituals. Also, there's nothing that compares to spending time with my parents, sisters, brothers, and husband. I feel most beautiful when I'm with those I love.
What 3 tips would give others to help them feel and look beautiful every day?
1. Gratitude. It's a game changer. For many years, volunteering was a really big part of my life. I try to live in a state of perpetual thanksgiving.
2. You're one of a kind! Remember to own, love, and honor those traits and quirks that make you, YOU! Try to see yourself as others see you. Trust yourself and let go.
3. Do everything and meet everyone with kindness.
What’s the best piece of beauty advice your mother ever gave you?
This isn't necessarily beauty-focused, but my mom always reminded me of the importance of taking care of the caretaker. It's okay to be a little selfish sometimes and so critical to know your limits so you can find balance. We can give so much more to others when we take time to replenish and feed ourselves.
What are your favorite foods that promote beauty from the inside out?
Water and lemon! I also love smoothies, acai bowls, and big salads. My husband and I have been making delicious morning smoothies with lots of greens. Nothing like starting the day on the right foot!
We often abide by the 80/20 rule. Treat your body right 80% of the time and splurge 20% of the time. So....what's your 20%?
I have a serious sweet tooth! I love ending the day with a mug of ice cream or piece of dark chocolate. I also love buffalo chicken, even more so being pregnant. It's all about moderation, including moderation itself!
What’s the biggest beauty mistake you ever made?
Using a tanning bed. Definitely not proud of that one!
What is your favorite way to stay healthy through exercise?
I think it's so important to listen to your body. I love to mix it up - yoga, strength training, spin. I travel often, and am frequently left to my own devices. I try to be creative and take local classes, but often focus on yoga and walking a lot.
Natalie's Follain Five: The 5 products she just can't live without right now.
1. Josh Rosebrook's Hydrating Accelerator because I travel a lot and nothing feels more amazing mid-flight than a spritz of this mist. I use the hydrating accelerator to set my makeup, too, and the travel size is always in my bag come summertime. It instantly alleviates any tightness from dry air.
2. Skincando's Combat-Ready Balm because I have severe dry skin in the winter. Nothing heals chapped hands and lips quite like this salve. I use it on breakouts and any skin irritation, too. It's really a magical product that everyone should have in their arsenal.
3. Ursa Major's Hoppin Fresh Deodorant because I really believe that switching to a safer deodorant is the best place to start when transitioning to a cleaner beauty routine. My beloved mother-in-law passed away from breast cancer, and although we don't know what environmental factors played a role in her illness, I know that using an aluminum-free deodorant is so important. I have used all of the deodorants at Follain, and this one is my favorite because it comes in a stick, and the amount of baking soda is non-irritating, even for very sensitive skin. It keeps me dry and smelling good - my husband even uses it!
4. Soapwalla's Pregnant Belly Oil because I love how amazing this oil makes my skin feel. I could use it all over my body, but right now I'm trying to use it sparingly since my ever-growing belly needs more and more!
5. May Lindstrom Skin's Honey Mud because it reminds me to exhale at the end of the day. I use this product as a face cleanser, but especially love it as a mask. Doesn't hurt that it smells like chocolate pudding!