Oh, hello fall. We love your pretty falling leaves and adorable pumpkins, but we could definitely do without the dry, itchy skin that comes along with the change of season.
This colder weather calls for a re-vamp in our skincare routine and adding healing hydration is our first order of business. Enter, shea butter - Follain’s ingredient of the month!
Shea butter, in its purest and unrefined form, is a complete super food for the skin. Derived from the nuts of the Karite tree, found predominantly in Africa, shea butter is a solid, fatty oil that is superbly rich and healing. While there are dozens of reasons why shea buter has been used as a skincare ingredient for centuries, here are the top 5 reasons why we’re reaching for some serious shea this season.
1. It’s anti-aging! It’s packed with vitamins A, E and F to stimulate the production of collagen -an essential protein for maintaining supple and radiant skin. Vitamin A also targets fine lines while oleic, stearic and linolenic acids protect and nourish the skin to prevent drying.
2. It has SPF! Shea butter naturally protects against UV Rays, providing a SPF factor of about 6. It’s not a lot, but we’ll gladly take a little bit of protection along with our intensely nutritious moisturizer.
3. It’s super healing! Unrefined shea butter is an amazing ingredient for severely damaged skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Rashes, scars, burns, insect bites, eczema… the list goes on! A few applications of shea butter can begin healing the skin after just a few days.
4. It’s packed with antioxidants! Shea butter naturally contains plant antioxidants that protect your skin cells from environmental damage and free radicals. Yes, please!
5. It protects your hair! When applied directly to the hair, shea butter coats the shaft and protects from heat tools, UV Rays and free radicals. It also seals and protects color treated hair from the damaging effects of saltwater and chlorine.
Now that you’re brushed up on all of the reasons why shea butter is the perfect ingredient to combat fall weather, check out these Follain favorites that deliver shea butter goodness from head to toe.