She's back! Everyone's favorite deodorant guru (and a guru of just about everything else if you ask us) is back in Beacon Hill this Thursday, June 9th to chat about clean living and share the story of her powerful vegan products. For Rachel, it's not all about skincare - she also makes a mean brownie that we can all feel good about eating. Read on for some inspiring tid-bits, and a list of what you should definitely be reading this summer.
(Photo by Free & Native)
We hear there’s a secret Soapwalla book club. What are your favorite reads for this summer?
It's true! I really wanted to build something from the Soapwalla community -- one that I so deeply care about -- that wasn't centered on buying or selling. Since one of my lifelong favorite things to do is to read (and I'm married to a librarian), a book club seemed the most natural. We are currently reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Next up is Department of Speculation by Jenny Offills.
I'm an eclectic reader. On my to-read list this summer also include The Regional Office is Under Attack by Manuel Gonzales and Japantown by Barry Lancet.
We love love love that sustainability is such a big part of your brand. Can you talk about how your products minimize your environmental footprint?
Thank you! We take great pride in our focus on minimizing our environmental footprint, including;
- formulating products in such a way that won't require lots of plastic packaging
- using finished materials (labels and boxes) that are locally printed/manufactured
- working with farmers and suppliers who practice sustainable farming and who utilize sensitive harvesting methods
- making everything in-house and working in small batches
- being a vegan line
What is the one skincare step you would refuse to skip?
Toning! It's the one part of our skincare regimen that folks most often overlook. Using a high quality toning mist after cleansing and before moisturizing ensures your skin is clean and without any residue, neutralizes any additives that might be in your municipality's water supply, and primes your skin perfectly for receiving moisturizer. On long flights, I spritz my face once an hour on the hour to help lock moisture in as well.
What's your favorite thing to make in the kitchen (besides cult products!)
Two things: (1) my morning stovetop espresso and (2) I make these ridiculous brownies that are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free but are the richest, yummiest, most delicious things I've ever tasted :-D Recipe below!
The most delicious brownies (adapted from Gluten-free Girl)
- 4 ounces Earth Balance or butter (1 stick)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- Scant 1 cup sugar
- 2 flax "eggs" (2 tbsp freshly ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp hot water, whisked well and left to set for 10 minutes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 grams teff flour
- 2 handfuls chopped, freshly toasted walnuts
- 2 handfuls semi-sweet chocolate chips (make sure they're dairy-free!)